Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Blog 8


Parent’s jobs always affect their child’s lives, but for this high school student her dad’s job is her life.

Mackenzie Stoops is a sophomore at Norman High. Her father is OU head football coach Bob Stoops.

“My life is organized around football,” Stoops said. “Our family vacations depend on how the season goes and what bowl we get into. The last three years we've been in Arizona on new year’s, I’m ready to go somewhere else.”

Even though the Stoops family is well known around Norman, Mackenzie said her family isn’t that different from anyone else’s.

“My dad comes to as many of my brothers’ games as he can,” Stoops said. “I don’t play any sports but it’s fun going to those games with my parents.”

Stoops turned 16 over the summer and she said her favorite present was her red Jeep Wrangler.

“I guess you could say my parents are protective,” Stoops said. “They literally bought me a tank for my birthday.”

Stoops’ boyfriend, Austin Earley, is also a sophomore at Norman North and said he was very intimidated by Coach Stoops the first time they met.

“I’ve always been scared about coming to Mackenzie’s house,” Earley said. “I grew up an OU can and I always wanted to meet Bob but this wasn't how I imagined it. I’m just glad I’m not an OSU or Texas fan. That would make coming over here pretty awkward.”

Stoops said she was nervous to introduce her parents to Austin, but not nearly as nervous as he was to meet them.

“The first time I ever met her parents was when we were friends in 6 grade,” Earley said.
“Bob was even scarier when I was a foot shorter.”

“My football memories start at OU,” Stoops said. “I can’t even remember when my dad was coaching for Florida. I guess you could say I’ve grown up being an OU girl.”

Stoops said that this season has been one of her favorites now that her uncle Mike is coaching for OU.

“He’s not as scary as he looks on TV,” Stoops said. “It’s been really fun having my cousins around and I know that my dad really likes having him there.”

Stoops said that she has gotten used to the spotlight being on her dad and seeing her family in the media.

“One time I walked into 7’11 and I heard two guys talk about how Bob Stoops was moving,” Stoops said. “I thought they meant out of town so I went up and asked them about it and found out that my parents had just bought the land. It’s weird hearing things that other people know about what my family is doing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment