Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Blog 7 -- Flu Season


With the cold weather settling in and finals getting closer, the physical effects of stress and late night studying are catching up with students.

“Of course I would get sick the weekend before a big test,” OU junior Faye Womack said. “My professor emailed the power points and notes from lecture to review, but studying at home in bed alone isn’t the same as being in class and going to the review sessions.”

Monday morning Womack said she went into Goddard Health Center to get medicine for a cough that was keeping her up at night and left being diagnosed with the flu.

“Besides the occasional allergy or a bad cough I don’t get sick very often,” Womack said. “At the beginning of last week I started feeling weak and didn’t want to get out of bed. I should’ve realized I was sick when I lost my appetite.”

According to webmd.com, flu season begins in the Fall and lasts through the Spring. Flu symptoms usually come on suddenly and often start with the abrupt onset of fever, headache, fatigue, dry cough and body aches.

“I’ve had two appointments at Goddard this week and both times the waiting room was pretty full,” Womack said. “One of my friends I went to the football game with and hung out with Saturday night was there. Hopefully I didn’t get her sick we were sharing things all weekend.”

Womack said her roommate, Camille Sanders, has been avoiding her since she mentioned she wasn’t feeling well.

“I’ve been trying not to go in her room and I won’t drink after her,” Sanders said. “I’d be screwed if I got sick before finals.”

“I feel like getting sick goes along with being young,” Sanders said. “Students focus on school so you don’t pay attention to your health as much as you should.”

Womack said her doctor was worried about her infecting other students so she excused her from class for the rest of the week.

“I hate thinking about how much I’m going to miss this week,” Womack said. “I think getting sick came from a combination of cold weather and long nights. I’m never going to forget to get a flu shot again. Laying in bed all day makes me feel like I’m wasting so much time.”

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Goddard Health Center is promoting flu awareness by handing out hand sanitizers and first aid kits in the South Oval. Flu shots at Goddard are free for students with a valid ID and $25 for all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment