Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blog 6--Ashley Stephens


Until she graduates in May, multitasking has become a way of life for this OU senior as she balances 15 hours of class with a fulltime job.

“My schedule is crazy but I love it,” Ashley Stephens said. “It definitely isn’t easy but I keep reminding myself that all the hours and work I’m putting in now are going to pay off in May when I graduate.”

Stephens is studying accounting and finance at Price College of Business and is an assistant coach for the Chesapeake Swim Club.

“I was swam for ASU for three years then transferred to OU because of a coaching change,” Stephens said. “I stopped swimming because I wanted to focus on school. I’m graduating in May, it’s hard not to worry about getting a job.”

After she graduates, Stephens said she is planning on moving to Seattle, Wash. to work for her dad at Costco’s corporate headquarters.  

“My dad is the Senior VP of Pharmacy for Costco,” Stephens said. “I won’t be working directly for him but I’m applying for jobs in the corporate headquarters.”

Stephens said that while she enjoys coaching, the time commitment and salary are making her question whether or not the job is worth keeping.

“Monday, Wednesday and Saturday I leave my apartment at 5:15 for 6a.m. practice,” Stephens said. “Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I leave straight from class at 2:15. This Tuesday I didn’t get home until 8:30, went straight to the library and didn’t leave until 2a.m. All nighters are normal for me now.”

The Chesapeake Swim Team practices at the OCC Aquatic Center in Oklahoma City. Stephens said she spends over an hour driving to and from practice each day.

One of Stephen’s swimmers, Jessi Hildebrand, said that she really appreciates how much time Stephens spends with them, as she is the only coach available for morning practices.

Another OU senior, Steven Pelitere, is balancing 12 hours of school with his 30-hour workweek as a bartender at Chimy’s on Campus Corner. Since Chimy’s opened in April, Pelitere has worked his way up from checking IDs at the door to training as a manager.

“It’s all about time management, my school and work schedules fit together like puzzle pieces,” Pelitere said. “When I’m not in school I’m working. My boss adjusted my schedule so I could attend office hours every week and still make it to work.”

Because of their ability to efficiently manage time, Stephens and Pelitere both said they are leaving OU feeling confident they will find jobs upon graduation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment